The tankless water heater has no tank, and there is no water storage system here. Nowadays, the most demanding water heater which supplies hot water continuously. Another name of this water heater is known as an on-demand water heater. However, the tankless water heater has no storage system; the leakage is quite impossible. But sometimes, after several years of usage, leakage can observe under the bottom of the unit and the joints of the pipes.
So, when you observe the leakage, you need to find out the reason and engage an expert plumber to fix the leakage. Otherwise, it may cause severe damage.
Without a water heater, we cannot live even a day, so don’t take it lightly when you see any leakage of your water heating system. Take this issue seriously; otherwise, it will create a big problem. Water leakage indicates the user to solve the problem immediately. Try to do a regular checkup to get a long time service from the device.
Sometimes, we see that some people ignore small leakage, but with the time passes this little leakage can create a big problem when you cannot control it. So, take quick action and live a comfortable life with the tankless water heater.
However, to save the extra cost and find out the exact location of leakage, we have to know the causes of tankless water heater leakage-
What are the causes of leakage of the tankless water heater?
Now I am trying to show you the right direction about the reasons for leakage. I think if you know all the reasons properly, you can take immediate action to solve the problems-
- Improving venting: This is the most common issue for creating a leakage. Venting made through the roof or the wall. Proper ventilation needed for the proper fresh air flow inside the heat exchanger of the water heater. So, when the plumber installs the venting pipes, it needs extra care.
If venting not installed correctly, the condensation occurred inside the water heater, in the long run, which can cause water leakage, and at the same time, the condensation may occur on the whole heating system.
The user must follow the manufacture’s instructions while starting the venting. Without proper venting, the water heater causes an entire problem and create leakage.
- Proper gas piping: We prefer to use the tankless water heater to save energy. However, we can see that sometimes the existing gas pipe cannot supply sufficient gas for the function of the heater. So, while installing the gas pipe, the plumber needs to establish a separate gas line for the perfect flow of gas. And try to reduce the joints of the gas pipe, which can cause the reduction of gas flow.
Keep it in your mind that gas leaking is a very emergency situation, and only the expert hand can handle this situation. When you identify the gas leakage, take immediate action, and take the expert advice as soon as possible before any serious issues arise.
- Water pipe connections: During the passes of the water, there are several joints of pipes, and the valves also active there. Most of the water tank comes with the relive valve. You can detect the relief valve on the hot water chamber—the valve needed during the flushing of the tankless water system. The lid is beneficial for reducing water leakage. This valve can also reduce the dripping water from the joints.
Must ensure that all the pipes joints fixed tightly and also set the relief valve during the installation of the tankless water heater.
- Hard water and acidic water: There are several particles dissolve inside the hard water, which is creating inside the pipe after some time. Due to overheating, these particles affect the exchanger. Generally, the system automatically locks and sends an error code to the control penal when this condition arises. Without correcting the system error, you cannot operate the device. If you try to run the equipment forcefully, it may occur the system failure. So, the hard mineral water can create pressure on the exchanger and block the piping system and thus create leakage.
On the other hand, we all know that if the pH level is less than 7, the water is known as acidic. It can create the problem of the pipes from the heater to the fixtures. Acidic water can generate a problem of leakage fastly.
So, to maintain the leakage, you must check the supply water pH level before using the water for heating.
- Water flow rate and pressure: When the water pressure and flow rate is low, it is suitable for your water heating device. When you want to run your system for a long time, you must keep the water flow rate and pressure low. Generally, for the residential appliances, the ideal water flow rate is 5 GPM, and pressure is 30 PSI.
If the water pressure and flow rate are high, it will tough to maintain the device. Must monitor that the water pressure must not be more than 80 PSI. If the pressure is more than 100 PSI, your fixture will damage permanently. The heater inside the device gets burn. It will not create water leakage but damage your whole water heating system.
- Check the bottom of the device: You can feel that sometimes you cannot identify the water leakage. Generally, water leaking from the valve can cause from the bottom side of the heater. But maybe create from the top side. When you identify that the leakage formed genuinely in the bottom side, you have to understand the heater itself cracked. At that time, you need to replace the heater.
How to fix the problems:
The water heater is such an excellent device that can bring happiness for the homeowners to live a happier life. This amusing heating system can reduce the cost of energy and the utility bill also.
The on-demand water heater can create a lot of problems. However, all of the issues have solutions also, if you can identify the problems at the right time. Here I am trying to show you some guidelines; I think if you follow these, you can solve the problem quickly.
- Repair or replace: When you identify that your water heater has leakage, take proper actions. Take the help from the professional plumber; they will tell you precisely what you should do, whether you need to replace or repair.
- Mitigate the leakage with the help of drain pan: A user needs to keep the patient when any leakage happens on the device. Take some primary initiative after identifying the leakage. IF you make the right decision, it will keep your device safe for a long time. Installing a drain pan is the most reliable way to prevent leakage. If you have a drain pan, it can minimize the damage. If you don’t have any drain pan, the water flow will damage your house.
- Contact with the manufacturer: Most manufacturers offer different types of warranty systems of different parts inside the water heater. If the leakage starts before the warranty time, you must contact the manufacturer; they will replace the pieces if it’s written on the condition. But you don’t get any support when the warranty invalid.
- Fix the cold sandwich problem: When you take a shower, at that time, sometimes you may feel the cold water comes with the hot water. It may cause frequently. At that time, let the heater give some time to heat the water. Don’t take your shower just after someone takes a shower.
- Fix the burner fail: Check the gas pressure, if the propane tank is empty, check the gas valve and the water valve and also the electric short, if you found all the components is a wright condition, then this may happen due to the failure of ignition pack. Don’t make a delay; just call the experts to solve the problem before any hazardous situation arise.
- Control the temperature: If you found that the water temperature is very high, it may burn your skin. Just fix the heat from the controller, which suits you and also ensure minimum water flow.
- Clean up the depositions: When you see that the water filter and the fixture clog, at that time, take the experts to help to clean-up the filings inside the heat-exchanger.
- Fix the bad smell and discoloring: When you found the bad odor from the water and al the same time changing the color of the freshwater, this is the time to change the filter for the water source. At the same time, use the water softener as well.
From the above guideline, I will try to give you shortly some tips to fix the problems and live a healthier and happier life with the family members. If you follow the advice regularly you can handle your water heater nicely:
- Always clean the control elements, burner, and the vents when the air passes.
- Check the flame regularly; the blue flame is sage for the heater.
- Flush the water heater at a regular interval like after every six months.
- Try to keep the fan and the motor dust free.
- Must keep the vent clean from dust and other bird nests.
- Maintain the supply water pH level.
A water heater is an essential tool; you cannot live without this tool. No, tools are problem-free, so when you see any kind of problem arise, try to solve it quickly. This article and all the tips I am trying to discuss elaborately must help you a lot. Another thing is that, don’t try to solve all the problems by yourself, ask professionals help, and live with this tremendous device.